Monday, January 22, 2007

DT Sampler Game Board WIP



My DT Sampler Game Board is coming along nicely :-). I had a few missteps, I didn't care for the linen I had originally purchased. The weave was too "loose" so I ended up pitching it, literally, in the trashcan. I pulled out a beautiful cut of 28 count lambswool instead. I also wasn't crazy about a few of thread conversions so I made a couple of substitutions. Now I am happy, happy with my linen and fibers and I am making progress :-). I've set it aside to work on a Valentine exchange and a PIF challenge piece.

I've been thinking about setting stitching goals every month, it's just not really working well for me. I love making lists but then I feel obligated to cross things off. I am a little compulsive about my list, LOL. It's a lot of pressure and sort of takes the fun out of things. For instance, the new BBD loose feathers is winging it's way to my house and I really, really want to start it but technically it's not on my list for this month. What's more it's not on my list of 50, not that I can't make adjustments... :-). I am not sure how to make progress without setting goals, but there's a part of me that just wants to stitch what I want to stitch and see what happens. Maybe I should not be so specific about the which and when and be a bit more general, I'd like to finish two pieces this month and make progress on a couple others or maybe I should just work on what I feel like working on at the moment? I'd be curious to know how tied you all are to your goals, rotations and lists?

14 comments:

Lelia said...

Hey Katrina: I have no luck with rotations & goals.

Tho, admit I get more stitching accomplished with deadlines.

For 2007 I'm doing TWO SALs. Otherwise, I'm going thru my stash & picking up some stitching I just want to do.

Enjoy the day ... awesome gameboard!!!

Anonymous said...

Katrina, I love your game board! The colors are so vibrant! I thought I was the only person I knew that would literally throw things away! Good on ya!

I hear you on the list-making. Total OCD chick here! When I made my list, I didn't indicate that they had to be done THIS year or that I'd get them done in any particular month (there are like 4 on the list of 25 that have a goal, but nothing crazy), I just can't buy new charts or kits (unless OOP or with a gift card) until these 25 are done. I think there has got to be a little wiggle room or I'll throw everything up in the air and just go nuts buying, starting and adding more havoc to the situation! Good luck...I'm right there with you!!

Chelle said...

Katrina your gameboard is looking wonderful!

I do use lists, but they are more of a suggestion than something I must stick to hard and fast. My only goals are to get my obligation stitching (gifts, exchanges, PIFs) finished in plenty of time and to participate in a timely fashion with the SALs I belong to. Everything else is gravy.

Laura - StitchinManiac said...

Hi Katrina,

I agree on the goal thing. I have a list that I made in November (you can see it on my blog http://thebusybeehive.blogspot.com/ ), but it's really something I've done to just get a handle on where I am with all of these pieces and control new spending a bit. At some point I thought they were worth spending time on... and I still do with all of them. So, I wanted to see some sort of progress. But, it really is just a reference list. I just try to make sure I have things ready when I want to give them away, and other than that, I just enjoy myself! [LauraB in Utah]

p.s., I'm still using my wonderful biscornu each time I stitch!

Carol said...

Your Gameboard does look wonderful!

Annemarie said...

In my humble view (and I speak from experience) lists lead to depression. Stitching is for fun, so I think you should just stitch what you feel like stitching.
I love your gameboard!

Anonymous said...

Lovely progress on your Gameboard!

I gave up setting goals a while back, because they were causing me too much "stress". It's really liberating: now I stitch on what I feel like and my stitching is so much more enjoyable. I still have a general idea of what I want to stitch in a given month and I still have plenty of finishes and make progress on my WIPs, but I'm not tied down to anything particular. It's so nice to get up in the morning and think "what would I like to stitch on today?" rather than "what should I be stitching on?" :D

Anonymous said...

My only goals are the projects that have deadlines. I've noticed that stitching on "what I want, when I want" has allowed me to actually stitch more!

Your gameboard is beautiful!

BeckySC said...

Gameboard is looking great :)

I too gave up the goal setting as KarenV said...too much stress for me-I just stitch whatever calls to me now and feel no guilt :)
Of course we both will have exchange stitching to do...but I have not been stressing over it (I hope you haven't either)-I have been looking through my stash and making mental notes of which projects may work for each exchange :)

Have a great day!

Anonymous said...

Your GB looks great. This is in my stash, but I don't have plans on stitching it until next year. Look forward to watching your progress.

Jackie in UK said...

Hi Katrina,

I love you gameboard. Your progress is inspiring me to get the supplies together and start mine. This has been in my stash for so many years now!

As you know, I also love to make a good list, but I seldom stick to it. Still, it is fun to loook back and see how much progress (if any) I made with said list!

Adana said...

Nice work on the gameboard Katrina.
I'm a list maker to, but this year I'm writing down what I've worked on each day. I'm not sure it will make my finishes list very long at years end, but looking back at it each week makes me feel like I've accomplished something even if I didn't finish that particular piece and reminds me to pick it back up if it's found it's way out of my sight.

Cathy B said...

Your Game Board is off to a great start! I'm looking forward to receiving the new loose feathers too.

No lists for me - too stressful!

Heather said...

I am fairly new to stitching, but have already acquired a fair amount of stash :) I like lists too, but don’t stick to them at all. I like to have a list on hand to remember what I have, then decide if I feel like stitching it or not. The only thing I stitch in any given time frame would be a Round Robin / Exchange of some sort. Enjoy it, have fun and throw the list out the window :P