Saturday, December 31, 2011

A Look Back at 2011

Gosh has it really been 5 months since I updated my blog????  I don't know where to start, do I start at the beginning or work my way back through the year????  I normally don't share a lot of personal stuff on my blog but I don't know how to talk about this year without revealing something of my life.  

The year started happily, our son got married in March and we welcomed a sweet daughter-in-law to our family.  They decided to to do a weekend wedding in Las Vegas since JD was deploying in May.  They are settling into married life, JD is a Load Master in the Air Force Reserves and Krystal is a Pharmacist so they are busy with work and fun :-).  This is one of my favorite pictures of the two of them.


JD and Krystal

In May I finished Anniversaries of the Heart!!!!  I still love to look at it :-).  I sent it to Jill Rensel for framing and as always she did a beautiful job.


In June we got the call everyone dreads.  After a long battle with ovarian cancer, my FIL's wife had died at only 52 years old.  Cathy and my FIL would have been married 28 years today, they were such a devoted couple.  I loved her dearly, she was such a smart, wonderful, happy woman.  I miss her so much and honestly I still can't believe she is gone.  

Meggie, my DD, crushing grapes with Cathy, Cathy loved Halloween, my favorite picture of her and my FIL and a pretty picture of Cathy!!!!

Through the rest of the summer, I did manage to work a bit on some projects, Jane Tindall, Melicent Turner and the new Loose Feathers piece.


In between everything else my DH, Jeff, had been having steadily worsening issues with his gallbladder so in September we started going through all the testing and appointments to get it removed.  Unfortunately two days after the referral for the surgery was approved, several stones blocked his bile and pancreatic ducts causing pancreatitis necrosis.  He was admitted to the hospital in the beginning of October and 4 weeks later he was finally released to come home.  I won't go into the nitty, gritty details except to say he had numerous complications, lost over 40 lbs, and ended up with a very badly damaged pancreas.  It was very scary month for us.  The beginning of December he was readmitted to the hospital because of a high fever.  After a bunch of test we got a good news, bad news diagnosis, thankfully the pancreas hadn't gotten worse but his gallbladder was more inflamed.  Fortunately, we saw all the same doctors who had been with us through the entire ordeal after the original hospitalization and after another week in the hospital and a three hour surgery to remove a ruptured gallbladder he is on the mend and feeling much better.  We can see God's hand through all of this, we were blessed with wonderful doctors, a miraculous recovery, and the help of family and friends, things could have been so much worse!  Because Jeff was very ill and I was so worried and at the hospital almost all my waking hours I didn't get much done stitching wise.  When I could concentrate enough to pick up my needle I tended towards small projects.  I have lots of new scissor fobs ;-).


Thankfully things have calmed down a bit and I found time to start a new project on Christmas weekend!  I fell in love with Examplars of the Heart Dames Boarding School after seeing it on Paulette's blog.  Her mom, Marsha, stitched it for her.  I only made a tiny start on it, we had my DH's parents here for Christmas along with my parents, our kids and friends so it was a busy weekend.


I am hoping and praying for a much quieter 2012!!!!  I have sorted through my projects and prioritized things for the new year :-).  My friend Laurie has convinced me to start a new project every weekend in January.  This weekend I am going to start Elizabeth Sheffield.  I love how bright the colors are and the sweet colonial couples and birds.  It's just gorgeous.  I am using the Attic conversion on a gorgeous cut of R&R Straw.


Next weekend I will share my progress on Elizabeth and my new start.  I also have several gifts I've received through the year and one I made for my friend Karin :-).  

Praying a wonderful, happy, stitchy 2012 for everyone!!!!!  I hope this finds you all well and enjoying your holidays.

Happy Stitches,
Katrina

46 comments:

Colleen said...

Oh Katrina, Bless your heart. Hope this finds you DH on the mend. Sorry to hear of the loss of you FIL wife.
Wishing you & your family a Happier, Healthier New Year. Love your new projects, the colors & all the threads. Looking forward to seeing your progress on your stitching. A big hug to you.

Cindy in Virginia said...

Katrina, praying for a calmer, happier, more normal year for you! Once again, love your AotH, you inspired me to start mine! And,love your new starts, can't wait to watch your progress! Hugs,Cindy

Margaret said...

I enjoyed your post, Katrina, and seeing pics of JD and Krystal, and your MIL. You've had a year of ups and downs for sure -- and way too many downs! It's so good to know Jeff is getting back to normal now and you can settle back and relax. Love seeing all your stitching as well. Great start on Dame's Boarding School -- another I want to start! And Elizabeth Sheffield too. Looking forward to seeing your January starts! Happy New Year!

Laurie in Iowa said...

The pic of JD and Krystal is wonderful... I can see why it's your favorite. GF... you've really had a hard year. Thankfully Jeff is finally on the mend and may that continue into 2012 and beyond. Loved revisiting your stitching finishes.
Thanks for joining me on Laurie's January Challenge.
Happy New Year!

The Scarlett House said...

2011 was such an eventful year for you and your family, both happy and sad. My wish for you for 2012 is continued good health for Jeff, and much love and happiness for you both. I'm so glad that we are friends!
Two weeks, baby!

Suzanne M. Pratt said...

I'm so glad your DH is getting better. I can remember what an ordeal a bad gallbladder can be - I had mine out in June of 1980 - they just barely got it out in time; it ruptured in the container they put it in after removal. My doctor told me I was really lucky although at the time I did not feel very lucky. I was sore from the surgery, worn out from months of gallbladder attacks, and I had a 6 month old at home to care for. Whew! I went with my 3 children and spent the next month with my mother who helped me so much - I wasn't even allowed to pick my baby up for at least a month after the surgery. That was my second major surgery that year having had an emergency C-section when I started hemorhaging with my baby. All's well that ends well though - that baby is all grown up and has a baby girl of her own - my first grandchild. And you know I can't get enough of her.

I thing every time I have picked up my needle or my crochet hook it has been to make my granddaughter something. Currently I am working on a wool bear with embroidery on his head, tummy, arms and legs - he is made of doctors flannel (an ecru color) and is jointed so he moves. I hope she will like him - I know I am enjoying making him for her.

Your needlework is amazing; I love samplers also and your pictures were a real treat. Hope for a much calmer year for you this year and hope your holiday was great!

Siobhán said...

2011 sure was a year of highs and lows for you, Katrina. I pray that 2012 is a year of all ups for you, and that you get to spend a lot of soothing time with your needle and thread. I love your projects! Big hugs to you, gf. xoxox

Krista said...

So sorry for your loss, Katrina, and hope your husband continues to get better. Your stitching is beautiful, love all the scissor fobs. I look forward to seeing your Elizabeth Sheffield in the new year. Wishing you a happy and healthy 2012!

Jan said...

Sweet Katrina...you have had a year! The loss of your stepmom and then Jeff's illness, really, really tough times. But you persevered and still got some wonderful stitching done, wow!! I love all of your sweet fobs, and your framed Anniversaries is truly magnificent!!

Praying for you to have a most wonderful and peaceful 2012!

Suburban Stitcher said...

I'm so sorry about your loss and for your continued battles with illnesses. I hope that Jeff continues to heal, and that you continue to be able to work on your beautiful stitching!

Loraine said...

Oh Katrina, so sorry to hear of all of the stress and illness in your family. You have definitely gone through your share of trials, and I pray that 2012 will be a much better year for your family.
Love your finishes in 2011, and your new starts for 2012, and I look forward to more posts soon.
Hugs.

Bertie said...

Can imagine you have not been up to posting at all after I read this post. Very sad to lose a loved one.

Your finishes are lovely and may 2012 be a good year for you and your family:))

Jen Bailey said...

Can't wait to see your Elizabeth! Those silks are going to be gorgeous in that piece! Happy new year!

Jeanne said...

I've missed you posting Katrina and so sorry to hear of all that has been going with your husband! I hope his bad days are behind him and the removal of his gallbladder starts him on the road to good health again in 2012. A scare like that really wakes you up to appreciating good health that's for sure.

Your projects are wonderful. I love Elizabeth Sheffield and will be adding it to my stash soon. The model is on display at Attic Needlework (my LNS) and it is awesome!! I wish you could see it in person.

Have a great year ahead Katrina!

Anonymous said...

I have also missed seeing your work and hearing your stories and am so sorry about all the things you and your DH went through this year. I hope he continues to improve and look forward to seeing more of your beautiful stitching. Happy New Year!

Annemarie said...

My goodness, Katrina, what a year you've had! I do hope that this New Year will be a much happier and quieter one.

Sending good and happy thoughts your way!

Love,
Annemarie.

Anonymous said...

What a 2011 you have had, and I'm quite sure you are glad to see teh backside of it. I am hoping that 2012 is a much, much better year. I shall keep you and your family in my prayers...you've had a lot going on emotionally and I bet your spirit is about spent.
I have to be honest Katrina, your AotH is what tipped me over to getting them all and restarting them. (I had started the first one to find that I hated the linen I chose, hated the colors in the first block and what was the use?!) When I saw how fabulous yours was....well now....that got my motor running! :) Thank YOU for the inspiration you give me each time I visit with you! Love and many hugs to you!

Anonymous said...

Happy New Year to you and your dear husband, really, all the best to you both! Whew!
Loved all your smalls, your finishes are beautiful as always.
Lancy

Paulette said...

What a year you've had, Katrina! I'm so happy you took time to do a blog update.. I love reading it! Your stitched things are to die for, gf!

Paulette

Sylvia said...

2011 was quite then year, wasn't it? I am just so glad its done with. I hope we all have a better 2012.

I just love your AotH - such a beauty. And your fobs.. Katrina, they are fabulous. Have fun with Elizabeth, the colors are so gorgeous.

Natalia said...

So glad to see your beautiful post, Katrina. What a year you've had, my friend. You should be very proud of how you've handled it, because I know there have been some extremely difficult moments. I am so thankful that Jeff is recovering... I pray that 2012 is a year full of peace, health, happiness, tranquility and lots of stitching.

Nicole said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Nicole said...

Beautiful post Katrina!! You are such an inspiration to me!! I'm so sorry for all that you've been through lately. I truly hope 2012 is a better one for you!!

Melissa said...

2011 was a such an emotional year for you and your family. May 2012 be full of joy, love, good health and lots of stitching!

Your fobs are beautiful!

Charlene ♥ NC said...

What a year! I'm glad things have calmed down for you and yours, and that 2012 is here and you've got new projects underway. They will be divine as all the finished ones are! Continue in good health and happiness throughout!

Charlene ♥ NC said...

PS:
Can't reply to your comment on my blog. Thanks for visiting!

I meant to say that your AotH framed piece is gorgeous!

I noticed on your Sale Page that you had BoaF - Bird in Hand. Is it still available for sale?

Dona said...

Katrina, what a year you had. I hope that 2012 brings you much joy and fewer worries.

Now that I see your Dames Boarding School, I need to add it to my list! Aren't the threads for ES pretty? Your fobs are gorgeous, too, and you have such a nice collection of them.

I am excited to see your progress on all of the new starts you have planned.

Happy New Year, Katrina!

Michelle said...

So glad to see a blog post from you!!! It was a heck of a year, wasn't it? I'm so glad 2011 is behind us!! I'm so excited to see your new start on Elizabeth, as well as to see what else you decide to start in January. How fun! Love how your Dames Boarding School is looking too. Happy New Year!

Moonlight Stitcher said...

Katrina ~ First let me say that I am so very sorry to read of the loss of your FIL's wife. I'm sure it has left a hole in your heart and you and your family have my heartfelt sympathies. And to have Jeff be so sick this year on top of it all. I am happy that he is doing better, but I will certainly be keeping all of you in my prayers.

On a happier note, CONGRATULATIONS on the marriage JD and Krystal. They are adorable. And as for your stitching, whether big or small, it is always beautiful. That Anniversaries of the Heart is nothing short of stunning. Jill's masterful framing is just perfect for your masterpiece!

doris said...

Oh, my goodness, that was a year! Thankfully, your husband is on the mend and I hope that continues. I know that a serious illness is scary and exhausting.

Congrats to your son and his new wife!

Your finishes and projects are gorgeous! I want to stitch all of them right now.

woolwoman said...

Great seeing your post Katrina but so sorry to hear of the loss of your FIL's wife and your DH horrible ordeal. You just never know what can happen so you have to make the most of every single day. Love all your photos - you do such lovely work. Elizabeth Sheffield is exquisite - dont' know how I passed her up. Hope you'll come back and visit much more often in 2012. Cheers! melody

Tanya said...

Great post, Katrina. What a year you have experienced. I loved seeing all your scissor fobs and the adorable floss fobs you have. I think they are so cool.

Deb (dcorder) said...

My goodness you've had quite a year full of joys and sorrows! I hope 2012 is better to you. Love seeing your work. I (almost) want to stitch again. Keep inspiring me! ;)

valerie said...

Happy New Year Katrina! What a year you had! I am so sorry to hear of your FIL's wife. So young! I am glad to hear that Jeff is doing so much better.

Giovanna said...

I'm sorry you've had such a distressing year (hugs!). Here's hoping that 2012 will treat you all much better. Your stitching is just lovely and a joy for the eyes.

Angie Burrett said...

Hello Katrina: I have only just discovered your blog, and love your work. The framing of AotH is so unusual - I have done this wonderful sampler too, pictures on my blog, but the detail on the mount of yours is truely beautiful. I will follow you regularly now. May 2012 be a happier and healthier year for you and yours. Best wishes from Devon UK.

Karoline said...

What a year you've had! Congratulations to your Son & DIL and I'm glad to hear your DH is making a good recovery.

I hope you have a good 2012

teresa said...

Katrina ~ what a beautiful post. You have had quite a year. I hope 2012 is calm and peaceful for you

Poussy Stitches My Love said...

oh beautiful pictures !!!!!!

have a good day ..
marylin from France

Valerie said...

So glad to see you back, Katrina! I am sorry to hear about your DH's medical issues but hope that the new year brings better health! I is certainly understandable that your stitching took a backseat. Family should always come first!

Now that DH is on the mend, I will look forward to progress on your WIP's!

Patti-Rocky Mtn Stitcher said...

Love the idea of your weekly starts this mth. Check out this girls challenges http://karenshandiwork.blogspot.com/. I might start something new too. Love the BBD seasons one.

Cathy Lloyd said...

Katrina, here's to a better year for you and your family. Sympathy to you and yours. I want you to know I'm doing Anniversaries of the Heart because of you!!! Another BAP!! Your's is do divine! I just can't pass up any opportunity to stitch Blackbird!!!
Hugs! Cathy

Cathy Lloyd said...

Sorry for the misspellings! Doh! XOXO

samplerlover said...

Hi Katrina, sorry I am so behind in things. My goodness you have had a year and a half. I am sorry to hear about Jeff's problems. Bob had to have his gallbladder removed years ago. Thankfully he didn't have any of the problems that poor Jeff has had. I am so sorry to hear about the loss of your FIL's wife. Cancer is such a horrible thing and when it takes somebody so young it is even worse.

All your stitching looks wonderful. I also love Elizabeth Sheffield and I have her started. Just need to finish all of the long samplers that I seem to pick lol. I shall enjoy looking at your photos of her when you post them. Enjoy Laurie's January Challenge. It sounds like a good one. - Sandra.

Ivory Spring said...

Happy New Year to you! I am in love with all your projects!!!!

Lois said...

I know you are glad to put 2011 behind you and I hope that 2012 is a much better year for you all and not a rollercoaster of highs and lows. What lovely new starts! Looking forward to watching your progress on all these beauties.