Friday, November 09, 2012

The Best Laid Plans and Catching Up

I had grand plans of posting every week or so this year but life and a bit of slump got in the way!!!!!  Not that I haven't stitched anything, I have, mostly gifts which I will share in another post :-).

I learned to frame my own needlework, Natalia taught me.  My first attempt was Blackbird Designs Christmas Garden!!!!



I also framed Primitive Needle's A&E!!!!  I learned that the Weeks Dye Works 40 count linen is very stretchy and harder to pin.  I really had to work with the A&E to get it pinned straight, I think overall I did well.  The first picture is deceiving, it's actually even on both sides.



One of the things that has kept me very busy is my Sampler Guild, I am the Assistant to the VP of Programs so I spent the summer assisting and planning for our 2012-2013 program.  Our major project this year is a sewing box, that can be personalized.  A big thank you to Paulette from Plum Street Samplers for changing the verse on one of her free designs.  Here is my box so far!!!!!



I've worked a little bit on a lot of different projects, BBD Sarah's House, WTHT M.J. Gardner, PPS Paradise Lost, EFTH Dames Boarding School, I will share pictures in another post!!!  I have to save something for later ;-)!!!!!!

We've had a very busy year.  My DH and I have traveled a lot this year, DC, California, Germany and we are celebrating our anniversary next month in Hawaii.  I also went to Chicago to go to the Inspired Needle Retreat.  We got the happy news that we are going to be grandparents for the first time.  Our DS and his wife are expecting a baby in March.  We celebrated my parents' 50th wedding anniversary.  Life is good and I am thankful but sometimes my hobby has to take a backseat to everything else that is going on :-(.   I am hoping to do better and stitch more.  I have a huge list of projects I want to stitch!!!!  I hope you all are happy and healthy and finding lots of stitching time!!!!!

Happy Stitches,
Katrina

41 comments:

Patti-Rocky Mtn Stitcher said...

Wow your two samplers are just beautiful. Hope to see them Sunday. I am so excited about getting my box items completed. i just love the design.

Natasha said...

Congratulations on becoming a Grandma!! Also your two framed pieces look great! You did a wonderful job as a first timer :)

Have a great day!

Jenny said...

Hi Katrina, I am new to your blog and love all the pieces that you have stitched. Your framing is beautiful. Congratulations on becoming a Grandma! How exciting for your family!

Barb said...

I love your finishes and the framing is great! I have a question for you. I am in the middle of the Christmas Garden and I want to do an alphabet at the bottom. Did you chart the alphabet yourself? If so where did you get the letters? The lower case letters are not on the chart. Also, congratulation on becoming a Grandma, it is the best!!

cucki said...

Congratulations on becoming a Grandma!
your two framed pieces look great.. You did a wonderful job..well done
I love your box so much..so sweet
Hugs xxx

Laurie in Iowa said...

You did a fabulous job in framing your samplers. That Natalia is an excellent teacher. I love the design and box for your Guild project.
Your year has been busy... but it sure sounds like you've been having a good time.
Congrats on becoming a first time Grandma.

woolwoman said...

your framing is beautiful - great job ! Love the guild project. Can't wait to see the other things you've been working on. Nice to travel so much - lucky girl on going to Hawaii - congrats on the new baby - guess there is a beautiful baby sampler in the works??? Enjoy your weekend - melody

Siobhán said...

Yeay! It's always a great day when I see your blog pop up in my list. :) I love all of your projects! Your guild project is amazing, and the framing is soo nice. I'm so impressed with you that you can do that!

The Scarlett House said...

I'm very impressed and pleased that you are framing your pieces. You did a fantastic job! Natalia is a good teacher, too!

Keeper of the Crowes said...

Oh, congratulations on becoming grandparents!!! What wonderful news! I see a baby sampler in your future. Your stitching is lovely and now you're an accomplished framer!!
Linda

Anonymous said...

Love your framing finishes! Can't wait for the next guild meeting too! And, such happy news all around, congrats!! Jen

Margaret said...

Your framing looks professionally done. Absolutely perfect, and I love the frames too! And that box! Wow! Soooooo gorgeous!!!!!

Cathy B said...

Your framing is lovely! Enjoy seeing the projects and programs your sampler guild offers. Glad you got to go to the Inspired Needle retreat. Congrats on your upcoming grandchild!

Barb's Mindless "Meanderings" said...

In the spirit of "things I have learned...." It's nearly impossible to get borders straight! I fight with them all the time, and I've been framing my own work for ages!

Beautiful piece, and terrific framing! Congratulations!
Barb in Syracuse

marly said...

Christmas Garden is so beautiful and I just love the box and contents.

Nicola said...

Congratulations on your beautiful finishes and your framing is awesome.

Giovanna said...

Your framing looks just prefect, and you have some gorgeous finishes - congratulations.

sana said...

Congratulations on becoming grandparents! Your two samplers are just beautiful!! And wonderful box!

Peggy Lee said...

Well it looks like you are very gifted in stitching AND framing! Gorgeous pieces!! Did you use non-glare glass on them? It looks like maybe you did.
My stitching takes a back seat quite often as I travel for work. So glad you had fun traveling and congratulation on your first grandchild! I'm expecting my second one in a week or so.
:o)

Anonymous said...

Fantastic job on the framing! Very well done and the frames look great too. LOVE that box too.

Sally said...

Your samplers look stunning and I LOVE that box!!!

Congratulations on soon to being grandparents!

Faye said...

Your framing is just lovely! I still have the BBD chart on my "list"...I think you have mastered framing, for sure. I hope to teach myself the how to's for self framing in 2013.. Congrats on the upcoming baby..You will be an excellent Nana~

Take care and keep posting...I find your blog very inspirational~~~ Always, Faye

Anonymous said...

Christmas Garden is stunningly gorgeous Katina and I'm impressed with your wonderful framing :) Beautiful!
The box is stunning too! Lovely! Your guild members will be over the moon to have such a lovely thing to stitch and finish! Travelling! I should say :) have a great time in Hawaii!
And congrats on the baby coming! Yay! You'll be a Grammie in no time!

Melissa said...

Most excellent job on the framing!!! I love your Guild project so much too!

Susan @ Real Girl Designs said...

I love that sewing box, Katrina - it's just beautiful!

Your framing is lovely, too.

Enjoy your upcoming trip to Hawaii!

Catherine said...

Great post! Love the frame for Christmas Garden! Congrats on learning how to frame ~ it does save one a lot of money.

Debby said...

Your framed pieces are beautiful, Katrina! And now to be grandparents!!! Congratulations, grandbabies are so much fun. In fact, you may find the little will also have an impact on your stitching time. LOL

Ranae said...

Well, I do believe you are a natural framer, at least it looks like it, great job! Both are beautiful
Love the box
Congrats on be grandparents

Anonymous said...

Can you email me the changes to christmas garden to do the alphabet at the bottom? My email is mzipsir@tds.net

Anonymous said...

Sorry, my email is mzipsie@tds.net

Loraine said...

Oh Katrina, your samplers are beautiful. I am very impressed with your framing skills! That would be a good thing to learn. :)
Your sampler box is simply fabulous too. I love the colors, and the scissors that match the fob...that is perfect.
Happy Anniversary next month. I hope you enjoy Hawaii, and show us some pictures. Oh, and congrats on becoming a grandma soon. That is wonderful news.
I understand your sentiment about your hobby taking a back seat...I'm hoping that doesn't last forever, you have such wonderful taste in samplers. Did I ever tell you that your blog inspired me to start a blog too? Take care and know that we love seeing your work!

Brigitte said...

Oh, wow, your framing is really great. Both pieces look gorgeous. And I love your sewing box with all the little accessories. Wonderful.

Jenny said...

Hi Katrina....I have decided to stitch Christmas Garden because I absolutely love your alphabet at the bottom of the sampler. Would it be possible to email me the instructions for the alphabet? It is just the perfect way to finish off this sampler. Thanks so much...jennylawson62@gmail.com

Karoline said...

Lovely to see you post again.

Congratulations on the upcoming grandbaby.

All your framing and finishing is gorgeous

Terri said...

Excellent framing! :D I know I'm probably the last person to ask, but I just got the BBD chart and was wondering if you'd share you alpha with me?

Your choice for your guild is wonderful and I love your adaptations.

Terri
tdwoverton@gmail.com

Anonymous said...

Katrina
I have recently purchased the BBD Christmas Garden. I saw on your blog where you changed the bottom to alphabet. Could you send me your instructions on that change. Thank you and love your work/blog
l.staggs@att.net

Kevin said...

Your stitching is BEAUTIFUL and your framing looks fantastic! I wish I could acquire that skill.

I really love your alteration to Blackbird Designs' Christmas Garden as well. What a clever addition of a classic sampler alphabet! Looks great, and I love that it can be hung year-round rather than just during the holidays. Lovely work.

Evelyne said...

Wow your framed pieces are beautiful!
I love the samplers too!
And the box is stunning!!!!

Have a nice weekend, Evelyne

http://eefsneedle.blogspot.com

Love to Applique said...

Hello Katrina, what an awesome job on A Christmas Garden !!!!! I have it in my stash to do, love the alphabet u did that way u can leave it out all year. Would it be possible to get the changes u made? My e-mail is debbie.duquette@aol.com Thank You

Cheryl said...

Katrina: I just picked out Garden from my stash. I love your alphabet. Can you email me your changes and what alphabet you used? My email is: canderson49@gmail.com.

Thanks!

Anonymous said...

wonderful embroidery patterns best embroidery digitizing service very nice blog *(&w